1960 Volvo PV544 with Overdrive
1960 Volvo PV544 LHD With Overdrive , Upgraded To Fast Road Spec Over half a million types of Volvo PVs were produced in a 25-year production span between 1944 and 1969 of which well over 400,000 were the standard, two-door saloon (the rest being estates or vans). The styling reflects the time of its inception, being reminiscent of certain American coupes from the 1930s/40s including, for the early models, split screens. Starting off with a 1414cc engine, a 1583cc version appeared in 1956. A second carburettor was added in 1957 if desired making it twin SUs. The final upgrade was to 1778cc (“B18”) in 1961 and an extra gear to the original three speed. This version lasted until the end of production. Saloons came to the end of the line in 1965 but estates soldiered on for a few more years. As today, Volvo’s reputation for safety was established with these models with features like laminated windscreens (1940s), seatbelts (optional from late 1950s) and the possibility of adding disc brakes.
Our PV544 was first registered in UK on 3 April 1991,Previously in Stockholm then northern Sweden. Originally a standard, 1581cc four cylinder RWD, Significantly upgraded with a view to fast road use with much attention to bodywork and fresh interior, minilite style wheels (steel ones with tyres come with the car). Tens of thousands of pounds of expenditure with supporting by documentation.
Significant works undertaken on the car since it was purchased in 2006 as a standard 544 includes:
- Regular servicing, frequent MoTs and attention to any areas of corrosion
- 2007/08 – Replacement upgraded, rally tuned 1800cc engine, new clutch, overhauled exchange gearbox, twin carbs and manifold and large bore competition exhaust system with front disc brakes and servo, Bilstein shock absorbers, limited slip diff, Hella 3000 lights, vented wheels, fuel tank replaced with firewall inserted, chassis strengthening, Moto-Lita steering wheel, additional gauges and much more were fitted
- Electronic ignition and 12V conversion alternator, replacement dashboard, twin choke
- 2011 – Photographic record of complete, body off restoration, fully welded, Waxoyled and painted and wheels painted and lacquered
- 2020 – full stainless steel exhaust, underbody re-sealed after attention to boot floor
- Nov 2020 – most recent service and thorough inspection plus new distributor, HT leads, plugs, fuel pump, refurbishment work on axles, clutch, LSD and suspension incl replacement Bilsteins front and rear, polybushes, etc , all at Amazon Cars
- Jan 2021 – replacement Moto-Lita MK4 steering wheel
- Oct 2021 – Spax G232 adjustable rear gas dampers specifically for the 444/544 series
- Sep 2022 – new chrome grill surround fitted (sourced from Sweden)
- lots of invoices for the above totalling more than £30,000 , incl many from Brookhouse Volvo and Amazon Cars, acknowledged Volvo experts, and parts catalogues from various suppliers.
- many years MoT certificates from early 1990s onwards. Last MoT to December 2022, showing less than 39k miles, signed statement by previous owner confirming mileage.
- tax discs for 2000s, original owner’s instruction manual (Swedish), BP lubrication chart, original Swedish registration document, spare keys, photos from various stages of bodywork restoration
- latest V5 registration document, showing correct historic vehicle taxation class and non-transferable registration number.
Presented in excellent condition and an absolute joy to drive
Spinningwheel Classic Cars can arrange Delivery and Shipping if required
please see terms and conditions